SWTOR Announces Free-to-Play Model

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Zooey View Post
    @ Del, Bioware won't be shafting any current content from its players in either the f2p or sub model. So Black Hole will be available, but they did not guarantee that all new content will be f2p.
    That's not true. They stated that the storyline content would be available to F2P accounts. Black Hole is not part of the character storylines; post-50 and non-storyline content was, specifically, not included in the statements made thus far. Additionally, we know they will be denying F2P accounts access to current content: They will not be able to participate in Operations. It's reasonable to surmise this restricted access will be applied to other end-game content as will, and Black Hole would be very simple to block for F2P accounts.

F2P accounts will be unable to post on the official forums, as well. The recruitment thread post would have to be waived (small consideration, I admit, but valid nonetheless).

In any case, hopefully more will be detailed in Friday's special Q&A.

Comment

Yes, but its a daily area. Denying dailies to players, bascially makes F2P a non-viable option.

Comment

Sooo... anyone else notice positive changes so far since the announcement? I have seen more people on the early planets and have been getting groups for heroics crazy easy lately. Hoping that lasts and/or improves when it's actually in place.

Comment

Originally posted by Zooey View Post
          Yes, but its a daily area. Denying dailies to players, bascially makes F2P a non-viable option.
          Denying dailies only makes it non-viable for those interested in end-game content - not everyone is racing to end game.

Cheers,

Comment

Originally posted by K'rell View Post
            Denying dailies only makes it non-viable for those interested in end-game content - not everyone is racing to end game.

Cheers,
            Very true. Which probably is good for Bioware since endgame is the worse facet of SWTOR.

Comment

There were 50 low level people on Ord last night.

The guild enjoyed some rp and patrols to impress some of them, we got at least 5 interested troopers.

Comment

It'll come down to the limitations set when it goes F2P.
                I know you'll need coins to run ops/wz over the maximum allotted they are going to set per week. So in theory, you will have to cough up some dough if you need to finish a Ops or if you want to powerlevel your pvp gear.
                Also, the money limit is going to be brutal for the market. People using the GTN will be forced to make sure they don't sell too much since they would get zero if they are a F2P person.
                However, past games have been successful with bringing in more people playing the game. It's just they are mainly super casual and not willing to exceed the limits of free play. The L.o.L. crowd will come in force to check out the game.
                But hey, as long as there isn't any bots spamming all day long about so and so for real money all over the place it won't be too bad.

Comment

I believe Bioware has gotten their money back and more, that is why they are placing swtor free-to-play.
                  I am a level 41 trooper, I have been playing since beta and I'm now currently playing BECAUSE of free-to-play.
                  Personally I thank the creators of swtor for giving me the experience of the GREATEST MMO in history while at the same time allowing me to blast other
                  free-to-players!

Comment

Working...
                  X